[R-SIG-Mac] new quartz windows show up when R.app in background

Chabot Denis chabotd at globetrotter.net
Fri May 4 00:49:27 CEST 2007

Hi,

I sometimes use Sweave to combine analyses and a large number of
plots into a document. Executing the Sweave job sometimes take a
while and I switch to another app and keep working.

Usually my many plots are done with pdf device and all is well. But
for this particular one, I'm making them with quartz and quartz.save
to get png files.

However each time R reaches a part of my script where a quartz
graphic is created, the quartz window comes on top of the application
I'm using (say Mail) and then goes behind.

I never had the occasion of getting new windows created by a
background application other than R, so maybe this is absolutely
normal behavior, but I'm asking in case something can be done to stop
it: is it absolutely necessary for new quartz windows to pop up
disturbingly in front of active apps if R is not the active application?

Maybe I could avoid this behavior by not creating a new quartz window
each time, but my plots are not all of the same size so it is easier
to start each one in a new window.

Cheers,

Denis