[R-SIG-Mac] Error in gfortran packaged with R binaries

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Feb 15 04:56:25 CET 2007

Bill,

this is just a quick note from down under ;). If you're building R-
devel, I'm recommending latest Xcode (2.4.1 or higher) + HPC fortran.

For a joyful 64-bit gfortran experience you'll need Apple's gcc
driver which I have provided (see my 64-bit Intel announcement e-mail
on this list earlier - it has the full description, I can't test it
here) and you also want to lipo usr/local/lib/x86_64/
libgfortran.?.?.?.dylib into usr/local/lib, because that's where it
really belongs. Unfortunately HPC doesn't provide ppc64 target in the
Intel gfortran which is a real pity, but we'll have to live with
it... (for now)

Anyway, the above will allow you to do CC='gcc -arch x86_64'
F77='gfortran -arch x86_64' FC=... etc. And in fact you can run
CC='gcc -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -arch ppc -arch ppc64' CPP='gcc -E'
for readline, png, Xorg and friends - great fun.