[R-SIG-Mac] Error in gfortran packaged with R binaries

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Thu Feb 15 12:32:03 CET 2007

On 15/02/2007, at 2:56 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
Thanks for the response.

> this is just a quick note from down under ;). If you're building R-
> devel, I'm recommending latest Xcode (2.4.1 or higher) + HPC fortran.

That is what I am now trying.

> For a joyful 64-bit gfortran experience you'll need Apple's gcc
> driver which I have provided (see my 64-bit Intel announcement e-
> mail on this list earlier - it has the full description, I can't
> test it here) and you also want to lipo usr/local/lib/x86_64/
> libgfortran.?.?.?.dylib into usr/local/lib, because that's where it
> really belongs.

I am trying to build a ppc64 version.  I don't have a Core 2 Duo Mac :-(

> Unfortunately HPC doesn't provide ppc64 target in the Intel
> gfortran which is a real pity, but we'll have to live with it...
> (for now)

It seems to have all the bits and will build a fortran hello world in
ppc64 using -m64.   However, the libraries are in /usr/local/lib/
ppc64 which seems to confuse the configure script and causes a
failure in the attempt to link C and Fortran code.  I will try to
lipo the ppc64 libraries into the ppc ones in /usr/local/lib.  Is
that what you meant?

Bill