[R-SIG-Mac] X11 and R - very beginners question

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Aug 14 20:44:56 CEST 2007

Graham,

X11 is a window system used for applications that come from the unix
world and have not been ported to Mac OS X window system (Aqua) yet.
There is a handful of packages in R that require it (e.g. tcltk,
RGtk2 and friends), as well as some R bitmap output routines (png,
jpeg..) and the X11 R device (unsurprisingly). You don't have to use
any of those (there are better options e.g. for the bitmap output),
but if you do, you have to start X11.