[R-SIG-Mac] X11 and R - very beginners question

Matthew Keller mckellercran at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 21:38:16 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I would just add that if you run R from within Emacs on a mac
(Aquamacs or Carbon or one of the others), it's handy to have X11
installed & started in order to have graphics windows. There are
several threads on the r-sig-mac that go over how to get this
working...

Matt

On 8/14/07, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
> Graham,
>
> X11 is a window system used for applications that come from the unix
> world and have not been ported to Mac OS X window system (Aqua) yet.
> There is a handful of packages in R that require it (e.g. tcltk,
> RGtk2 and friends), as well as some R bitmap output routines (png,
> jpeg..) and the X11 R device (unsurprisingly). You don't have to use
> any of those (there are better options e.g. for the bitmap output),
> but if you do, you have to start X11.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
>

> On Aug 14, 2007, at 7:15 AM, Graham Smith wrote:
>
> > I am brand new to the Mac, and wondered what exactly X11, does.
> >
> > The faq says it is optional, but equally, it seems important enough
> > for it
> > to have an icon in the r-Console.
> >
> > Having been using R in Windows, X11 is a completely new concept to
> > me and
> > wondered if someone could explain its purpose.
> >
> > I understand roughly what it is from googling, but can't make the
> > link with
> > it purpose in R on the Mac.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Graham

Matthew C Keller
Postdoctoral Fellow
Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics