[R-SIG-Mac] X11 and R - very beginners question

thatsanicehatyouhave at mac.com thatsanicehatyouhave at mac.com
Tue Aug 14 20:34:18 CEST 2007

Hi Graham,

> On 14 Aug 2007, at 15:15, Graham Smith wrote:
>> I am brand new to the Mac, and wondered what exactly X11, does.

X11 is the windowing system on unix/linux operating systems. Since
the move to OS X, it has been available as an optional install on the
Mac as well to enable people to run unix-based apps unmodified. With
respect to R, using X11 windows is just an option IF you have X11
installed.

The Mac windowing system is called Quartz (hence, the Mac-only R
function quartz() to open a new window).

You can go about using R on the Mac without using X11 windows at all.
What I tell most people who ask is, if you don't know what X11 is,
you don't need it. :) The support is useful on the Mac as you have
the option to run R from the Terminal and not use R.app at all, but
unless there's a specific reason to do this, I wouldn't.

Cheers,

Demitri