[R-SIG-Mac] Installation failed to install GUI

Bob Harris me13013 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 29 02:00:14 CEST 2006

>>During install, it claimed it was going to install R.app in my
>>applications  folder.  However, no such file or folder is to be found.

and Simon Urbanek replied:
>Every Mac OS X has the Applications folder - that is where most
>applications are (such as Mail, Safari, Text Edit etc.)  - when you  open
>finder the shortcut is on the left side of the window. If you  can't find
>it, click on your system drive (by default Macintosh HD)  and look for
>"Applications". If you really don't have that folder  then your system is
>unusable anyway ;).

Sorry, what I wrote was ambiguous.  Yes, of course I have an applications
folder.  What I DON'T have is a folder in it named R.app.  Nor one named R
(which is how it would appear in the finder).  I also tried using the
finder's find function to search for files containing "R.app".  What I get
is other applications that end with the letter R, but not R.  Clearly it has
not been installed.

>>   I realize that it will appear in the finder as just plain R.  I  have
>>manually hunted for it,  and have also used the finder's find  function to
>>search for it.  I note that the read-me-type info shown  during
>>installation describes a couple of the *other* packages as  "optional" but
>>provides no means to choose or not choose  them.
>
>It does - the installer asks you whether you want to customize the
>installation.

OK, running through the installation again now, I find the customize button.
  I missed this on the first install.  And I missed it on my second install
attempt because the installer wouldn't let me past the "select destination"
panel.  In fact, that is the reason I was TRYING to re-install, because I
was hoping there was a customization button that I'd missed.  But I was
defeated by the installer halting me.

>>The command-line r runs from the terminal window, which I presume  means
>>that  the framework version installed OK.
>>
>>The .dmg file has a subfolder called packages so I looked in there  and
>>saw  four .pkg files, one of which was R-GUI.pkg.  Grasping at  straws, I
>>double-clicked on this and it brought up the installer.   Unfortunately,
>>when  it came to the panel which allows me to elect  the destination
>>folder, it  marked my hard drive with a red  exclamation point at grayed
>>out the buttons that would allow me to  choose a destination folder.
>>

>You may want to check the status line to tell you why it won't let  you
>install it. If in doubt, check the installer log.

Sounds like a good idea.  I did not notice a status line while I was
installing.  Is it in the installer log?
Could you tell me where I could find the installer log?

Anyway, re-installing again today got me past the panel that previously
halted me and I was able to install the GUI.

I'm still interested in figuring out why it stopped me yesterday, in case I
run into that problem again.  Where are the status line and installer log?

Thanks for your help,
Bob H