[R-SIG-Mac] Installation failed to install GUI

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Oct 28 18:25:48 CEST 2006

On Oct 27, 2006, at 10:21 PM, Bob Harris wrote:

> During install, it claimed it was going to install R.app in my
> applications  folder.  However, no such file or folder is to be found.

Every Mac OS X has the Applications folder - that is where most
applications are (such as Mail, Safari, Text Edit etc.)  - when you
open finder the shortcut is on the left side of the window. If you
can't find it, click on your system drive (by default Macintosh HD)
and look for "Applications". If you really don't have that folder
then your system is unusable anyway ;).

>   I realize that it will appear in the finder as just plain R.  I
> have manually hunted for it,  and have also used the finder's find
> function to search for it.  I note that the read-me-type info shown
> during installation describes a couple of the *other* packages as
> "optional" but provides no means to choose or not choose  them.

It does - the installer asks you whether you want to customize the
installation.

> The command-line r runs from the terminal window, which I presume
> means that  the framework version installed OK.
>
> The .dmg file has a subfolder called packages so I looked in there
> and saw  four .pkg files, one of which was R-GUI.pkg.  Grasping at
> straws, I  double-clicked on this and it brought up the installer.
> Unfortunately, when  it came to the panel which allows me to elect
> the destination folder, it  marked my hard drive with a red
> exclamation point at grayed out the buttons that would allow me to
> choose a destination folder.

You may want to check the status line to tell you why it won't let
you install it. If in doubt, check the installer log.