[R-SIG-Mac] Strange OS X editor window behavior

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Oct 3 20:21:17 CEST 2006

On Oct 3, 2006, at 12:49 PM, Kyle G. Lundstedt wrote:

> Hi all,
> 	I'm running R 2.3.1 (2006-06-01) with the R Aqua GUI 1.16 (3198)
> written by Simon and Stefano.  The OS/hardware is a dual 2 GHz
> PowerPC G5 PowerMac with 4 GB RAM and version 10.4.8 of Mac OS X.
> 	I'm finding a very strange behavior with the internal Aqua editor
> window.  After using R for a few minutes, the responsiveness of the
> editor window slows to a crawl whenever I type either the single
> (') or double (") quote characters.  Upon typing one of these
> characters, I get a "spinning beach ball" that forces me to wait to
> input the next characters.
> 	Oddly, latency remains fine when typing all other characters.  If
> I use an external editor such as TextWrangler, I don't experience
> this problem.  Also, the problem affects only the editor window;
> calculations in the console window proceed normally.  The only
> packages I have loaded are Hmisc, Design, and RODBC.
> 	Has anyone else experienced this behavior, or know what's going on?

Yes, when you open a quote (' or ") the editor does syntax
highlighting for the entire file, so if you open a quote in the
beginning of a long file, it will take forever to change the color of
the entire file. Given that your machine is fast, you must be dealing
really with gigantic files to notice that slowdown, though ...
Nevertheless, a fix is on the way.