[R-SIG-Mac] Strange OS X editor window behavior

Kyle G. Lundstedt kylelundstedt at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 3 18:49:02 CEST 2006

Hi all,
	I'm running R 2.3.1 (2006-06-01) with the R Aqua GUI 1.16 (3198)
written by Simon and Stefano.  The OS/hardware is a dual 2 GHz
PowerPC G5 PowerMac with 4 GB RAM and version 10.4.8 of Mac OS X.
	I'm finding a very strange behavior with the internal Aqua editor
window.  After using R for a few minutes, the responsiveness of the
editor window slows to a crawl whenever I type either the single (')
or double (") quote characters.  Upon typing one of these characters,
I get a "spinning beach ball" that forces me to wait to input the
next characters.
	Oddly, latency remains fine when typing all other characters.  If I
use an external editor such as TextWrangler, I don't experience this
problem.  Also, the problem affects only the editor window;
calculations in the console window proceed normally.  The only
packages I have loaded are Hmisc, Design, and RODBC.
	Has anyone else experienced this behavior, or know what's going on?
I couldn't find any information on this problem on the R site, so I'd
appreciate feedback.

Thanks,
Kyle