[R-SIG-Mac] gcc 4.2 and the Accelerate framework

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Oct 3 20:18:28 CEST 2006

On Oct 3, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Kjell Konis wrote:

> In case you hadn't noticed, the 10.4.8 update "Adds support on Intel-
> based Macs for multiple cores to LAPACK and BLAS routines in the
> Accelerate framework; the maximum number of threads used by
> Accelerate BLAS routines is now limited by the environment variable
> VECLIB_MAXIMUM_THREADS; addresses an issue with some complex BLAS
> routines in the Accelerate framework that were encountering an
> illegal instruction." (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?
> artnum=304200)
>
> I would like to try it out but currently I have gcc 4.2 installed.
> Can I build R with gcc 4.2 and link it against the Accelerate
> framework or do I still need to build with gcc 4.0?

You don't even need to. Starting with 2.4.0 ist's very simple (thanks
to Brian) - make sure you use --enable-BLAS-shlib (it's the default
unless you fiddle with other BLAS flags) then just symlink
libRblas.dylib to the vecLib library. You can switch between all the
libraries (ALTAS, vecLib, Rblas) by simply changing the symlink -
that's all - happy testing :).