[R-SIG-Mac] gcc 4.2 and the Accelerate framework

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 3 18:31:54 CEST 2006

R-devel compiles with both gcc 4.0 and gcc 4.2 (and after some minor
tweaking with icc) under 10.4.8 and 10.5.0 on Mac Pro, using vecLib.

You may get into trouble with some packages if your compiler does
not support the arch flag, and you must be careful which gfortran
you use. But those problems may be specific to my system, because
I have too many versions of gcc and R installed.

On Oct 3, 2006, at 09:19 , Kjell Konis wrote:

> In case you hadn't noticed, the 10.4.8 update "Adds support on Intel-
> based Macs for multiple cores to LAPACK and BLAS routines in the
> Accelerate framework; the maximum number of threads used by
> Accelerate BLAS routines is now limited by the environment variable
> VECLIB_MAXIMUM_THREADS; addresses an issue with some complex BLAS
> routines in the Accelerate framework that were encountering an
> illegal instruction." (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?
> artnum=304200)
>
> I would like to try it out but currently I have gcc 4.2 installed.
> Can I build R with gcc 4.2 and link it against the Accelerate
> framework or do I still need to build with gcc 4.0?
>
> Kjell

Jan de Leeuw, 11667 Steinhoff Rd, Frazier Park, CA 93225
home 661-245-1725 skype 661-347-0667 global 254-381-4905
.mac: jdeleeuw +++  aim: deleeuwjan +++ skype: j_deleeuw