[R-SIG-Mac] Mac OS X and R - tcl/tk, BWidget and Tktable

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Oct 2 17:52:39 CEST 2006

On Oct 2, 2006, at 10:10 AM, Ingo wrote:

> I still have the problem I outlined earlier.  I am trying to run R
> 2.3.1 on OS X 10.4.7 in order to use a package called affylmGUI.  I
> have to start X11 in in order to initialise the tcltk package, but
> when I start the affylmGUI, the extensions BWidget and Tktable
> aren't found.  I have installed them several times using the
> TclTkAquaBI-8.4.10.0, but it won't work.

That cannot work, because you're installing the wrong Tcl/Tk. You
have to install the extensions for the X11 Tcl/Tk (which lives in /
usr/local), but you are installing Aqua Tcl/Tk which is entirely
different (and CRAN version of R doesn't use it).

> I know that there are some problems with X11 and Aqua, but how can
> I get around that.  Even when I run R from the X11 terminal, it
> won't find the extensions (same
> error message)
>
> What should I do?

Get the extensions for X11 Tcl/Tk. I don't know if they are available
in binary form somewhere, if not, you may have to compile them from
sources.

Alternatively, you can re-compile R with Aqua Tcl/Tk support, but
then you cannot use the R GUI.