[R-SIG-Mac] R-SIG-Mac] Mac or Windows...?

Klaus Thul kthul at mac.com
Fri Nov 10 23:25:13 CET 2006

Dear Carlos,

I am currently using R on two Macs at home (MacBook Pro and G5 iMac)
and on Window (at work). In the past I used it also on LINUX. My
thoughts and impressions:

1. R works very well on all platforms, I never observed compatibility
issues between the platforms. New versions get released for all
platforms in parallel.

2. The default user-interface is best on MacOS X (e. g. has syntax
highlighting). A major advantage of the Mac is the Quartz graphics
device. Graphics quality on screen is much better and it is possible
to copy and paste graphics without quality loss to other applications.

3. Developing and building own packages is easier on UNIX based
system (Mac OS or LINUX) then on Windows. You can also build binary
packages for Windows on LINUX or Mac OS.

4. The MacBook Pro (I have a CoreDuo 1 15' 1.86 MHz) is a very nice
machine including the software it comes with (from PhotoBooth to
XCode). For R there is definitely no need in running Windows on the
Mac; if you need to exchange a lot of MS office documents you can
consider buying MS Office for Mac, but free NeoOffice is sufficient
if you get e. g. data in EXCEL format.

Best regards,
Klaus