[R-SIG-Mac] Mac or Windows...?

Paul Roebuck roebuck at mdanderson.org
Sat Nov 11 07:19:23 CET 2006

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Klaus Thul wrote:

> [SNIP]
> A major advantage of the Mac is the Quartz graphics
> device. Graphics quality on screen is much better and
> it is possible to copy and paste graphics without
> quality loss to other applications.
> [SNIP]

I agree with most of what he said here. I would note however
that we routinely have to use the X11() device instead of
quartz() device in R due to speed issues. I have code that
would take several minutes drawing a heatmap using quartz
device. One day I accidentally started X11 device instead
and found the same code executed in about fifteen seconds.