[R-SIG-Mac] RMySQL install failure

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Nov 4 22:09:16 CET 2006

Ricardo,

On Nov 4, 2006, at 2:50 PM, Ricardo Rodríguez - Your EPEC ICT Team
wrote:

> Thanks. The case matters at Users and I've being passing along
> users to the variables. This way, it is hard to get a successful
> built!

HFS+ is case insensitive by default so it shouldn't matter. However,
you're passing the wrong directories anyway - mysql sources won't
work for this.

> But I am still getting error messages. In fact there is no /lib
> directory at ~/Desktop/mysql-5-0-27. This folder was created by
> exploding MySQL source downloaded from http://dev.mysql.com/get/
> Downloads/MySQL-5.0/mysql-5.0.27.tar.gz/from/ftp://ftp.rediris.es/
> mirror/mysql/ . I am afraid I do not know what I am trying to do,
> but trying to learn how to build MySQL from the scratch. Sorry if I
> am wasting your time.

I don't think you really want to do this, especially if you're not
sure what you're doing. You can get mysql binary from the MySQL pages
(and apparently you have it already). Compiling MySQL may be a nice
exercise, but I would recommend you to get RMySQL compiled first as
it is much easier.

> /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient_r.a
> /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a

Those are the static libraries that you can use if you compile RMySQL
from sources - the -L flag tells the compile where to look for them
(that's why it says PKG_LIBS='-L/usr/local/mysql/lib -l
libmysqlclient').

> The headers seems to be in both directories even though I keep
> getting a NO at some checking for mysql.h during compilation. Far
> from understand why.

A quick look at config.log would tell you - that is the first step
you should take when something goes wrong. I don't remember if the
first post was from you, but if it fails at -lz already, then the
problem is more likely your tools and not the way you set the flags.
Please use the PKG_xx settings I posted and send me your config.log
if in doubt.