[R-SIG-Mac] RMySQL install failure

Ricardo Rodríguez - Your EPEC ICT Team webmaster at environmentalchange.net
Sun Nov 5 12:28:13 CET 2006

Done, Simon!

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC ICT Team

>>> Simon Urbanek<simon.urbanek at r-project.org> 4/11/2006 22:09 >>>

>Ricardo,

On Nov 4, 2006, at 2:50 PM, Ricardo Rodríguez - Your EPEC ICT Team
wrote:

>HFS+ is case insensitive by default so it shouldn't matter. However,
>you're passing the wrong directories anyway - mysql sources won't
>work for this.

So, it is Bourne's shell what is making the HFS+ looks like case sensitive?

>I don't think you really want to do this, especially if you're not
>sure what you're doing. You can get mysql binary from the MySQL pages
>(and apparently you have it already). Compiling MySQL may be a nice
>exercise, but I would recommend you to get RMySQL compiled first as
>it is much easier.

Agreed! Yes, I've already downloaded and installed MySQL binary. It runs without a glitch.

>Those are the static libraries that you can use if you compile RMySQL
>from sources - the -L flag tells the compile where to look for them
>(that's why it says PKG_LIBS='-L/usr/local/mysql/lib -l
>libmysqlclient').

This is now clearer for me. Thus, .la files must be source files binary libraries are compiled from. Am I right?

Another issue there: -lmysqlclient at PKS_LIBS works here. -libmysqlclient doesn't. Does it work for you? Why this -libmysqlclient doesn't work here then?

>A quick look at config.log would tell you - that is the first step
>you should take when something goes wrong. I don't remember if the
>first post was from you, but if it fails at -lz already, then the
>problem is more likely your tools and not the way you set the flags.
>Please use the PKG_xx settings I posted and send me your config.log
>if in doubt.

>From the whole log file there are a couple of things are calling my attention:

1. Why these two NO at checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient and checking for mysql.h?

* Installing *source* package 'RMySQL' ...
creating cache ./config.cache
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for compress in -lz... yes
checking for getopt_long in -lc... yes
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql.h... no
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating src/Makevars

2. There are a number of  warning multiple definitions of symbol _xxxxx. Do they matter?

In spite of these, at the end a clear * DONE (RMySQL) appears!

I've tried the same syntax before, but I'd not installed DBI before trying to build RMySQL. That was another error on my side.

Once more, thanks for your help,

Ricardo