[R-SIG-Mac] R multi-cpu and 64 bit

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Nov 2 15:28:08 CET 2006

David,

On Nov 2, 2006, at 7:25 AM, David Airey wrote:

> R as is just great for me. I also use Stata 9 which is also a great
> environment. I'm not a statistician. I will be in the market for a
> new computer in January, and our data sets are getting very large--
> microarrays. Certainly, R has much more development via
> Bioconductor in this area. But I think it will be interesting to
> compare performance on something like the pending 8 cpu Mac Pro
> with the multiple CPU 64 bit version of Stata (only a grant can
> afford that), with R. So here's my question. Is R already capable
> of taking advantage of more than one core?

Yes, the CRAN R binary build for Macs uses vecLib which uses multiple
cores (since OS X 10.4.8), so for operations involving BLAS you get
parallelization for free. R doesn't use any other means of
parallelization internally. As of using R for parallel computing, as
Elijah was pointing out you may want to use snow (snow+rpvm is
available in binary form from CRAN).

Your question didn't involve 64-bit, but your subject suggests so -
there is currently no 64-bit Intel binary of R available from CRAN,
but an experimental build is likely to appear soon.