[R-SIG-Mac] Possibly fixed R GUI, please test

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue May 2 20:33:51 CEST 2006

Saptarshi,

On May 2, 2006, at 2:07 PM, Saptarshi Guha wrote:

> Thank you for the fix - it appears to be working so far. May I know
> what the problem was?

Sure: Info.plist in the GUI used to set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to $R_HOME/
lib for historical reasons - this was necessary before we started
linking libR.dylib with the full path (AFAIR that was R 2.0.0 or
earlier). R 2.3.0 now comes with custom gcc libraries (from gcc
4.0.3) thus setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH overrides the default search
path so the corresponding system libraries are no longer used even if
other applications require them.
My tests didn't show it, because it doesn't hurt a vanilla system -
R.app works and there are no other modules, but if the user installed
some extra modules that are loaded at run-time (e.g. input helpers,
haxies etc.), those require the system version of the libraries, so
they fail, sometimes even killing R.app as well.