[R-SIG-Mac] Quartz copy/paste bug?

Andrew Beckerman a.beckerman at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Mar 9 09:54:23 CET 2006

Dear all - I too have experienced this.  While I don't know what
causes it, I do know that using dev.copy2eps() and then opening that
file in preview (translates eps to pdf) never causes the trouble.

cheers
andrew

On 8 Mar 2006, at 19:54, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> Demitri,
>
> I have encountered this bug occasionally, but very rarely. The
> problem is, I didn't figure a way to reproduce it consistently. I was
> fiddling around with Quartz locking etc., but without reproducible
> example, it's almost impossible to fix. If you or anyone else could
> come up with a way to reproduce this behavior consistently, it would
> be great. Please let me know if you have a way for this to appear
> more often - I'd appreciate that.
>
> Thanks,
> Simon
>
> On Mar 8, 2006, at 12:58 PM, Demitri Muna wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been encountering an intermittent (!) problem when copying
>> from an R quartz window and pasting into another application. Often
>> it works without a problem, but sometimes one of two things will
>> happen:
>>
>> - If the quartz window I am copying is active, the full (rounded)
>> text field that displays the current working directory is
>> superimposed on the pasted plot. It is in the lower left corner
>> (not flush against the corner, but in that quadrant). Also, the
>> text field in flipped both vertically and horizontally.
>>
>> - If the quartz window being copied is not active, another image,
>> again flipped as above, is overlaid onto my plot. This time, the
>> region of the title bar that contains text is what is there, but
>> not necessarily from the window I am copying from. For example, the
>> active window in my case now is device 4 (title is "Quartz (4) -
>> Inactive") and the text in the object in the pasted image is
>> "Quartz (3) - Inactive", although device 3 is actually labelled
>> "Quartz (3) - Active".
>>
>> And actually, as I was creating plots to recreate this behaviour, I
>> was able to get both images superimposed onto the same pasted
>> image. I am attaching this image since it contains both overlays,
>> but usually I get one or the other.
>>
>> When I have seen this in the past and have needed to "clean up" the
>> image, I copy and paste into Illustrator. There, it was a simple
>> matter to remove the text fields by selecting the objects and just
>> deleting them. This tells me that they are indeed composited onto
>> my plot.
>>
>> Finally, I just closed the original window I created the plot in,
>> replotted, and the overlaid images went away. A second copy/paste,
>> and it reappeared.
>>
>> Anyway, has this been seen before? Is it a known bug, or is it just
>> me?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Demitri
>>
>> <pastedGraphic.pdf>

---------
Dr. Andrew Beckerman
Department of Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield,
Alfred Denny Building, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
ph +44 (0)114 222 0026; fx +44 (0)114 222 0002
http://www.beckslab.staff.shef.ac.uk/