[R-SIG-Mac] Where oh where is the idiot list for Mac people who are special?

Phillip Price pnprice at lbl.gov
Sat Jun 10 19:19:39 CEST 2006

> You know, the list that understands some folks are near idiot savants
> on stats and, on good days, drive an old Mac to the moon and back,
> but can not get the twingles and trepidations of the big R on old or
> new Macs.  Big R seems the ideal commercial for "this is what your
> brain on drugs produces."  On good days.
>

> So, with that, I end with a simple plea,
>
> Show me some simple, preferably linear, documentation.

D,
	For what it's worth, I, too, feel like I'm missing out on possibly
useful Mac-specific functionality due to simply not knowing what
features are available, what their benefits are, etc.  I also don't
even try to follow detailed discussion of compiler options, tcl/tk
library mismatches, and so on.  I have never built R from source.  In
fact, I'm not even sure what you mean by "Big R", so forgive me if
this response is completely irrelevant.

	That said, I have had no problem installing and running R --- I
don't know if it's "Big R," but it's R --- by following the
directions in the Mac OS X FAQ (go to http://www.r-project.org, click
on FAQs in the menu at the left side of the page, and then choose
"The R MacOS X FAQ").   The main section headings are:

Introduction
Building R from sources
Command line version of R
R.app
How to install packages
R and external applications
Quartz device
TclTk issues
Internationalization of the R.app
Additional resources
Acknowledgments
Sparse questions
Perhaps you could help improve the R for Mac OS X documentation by
letting us know which of the following are true:

(1) You didn't know about this FAQ. (If this is the case, please tell
us how its existence should be announced).

(2) One or more sections are inadequate. (If this is the case, please
tell us which sections need work, and what work is needed).

(3) One or more sections are missing. (Please tell us what additional
sections you would like to see).

Thanks and good luck, D.

--Phil Price