[R-SIG-Mac] native binary for macintel machine

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 4 01:15:49 CET 2006

Here are some apples and oranges. This is the MacIntel machine
with a single 3.6 Ghz CPU vs the G5 which has 4 x 2.5 Ghz CPU's.
The MacIntel machine uses gcc 4.0.1  and Intel's ifort, the
G5 uses gcc and gfortran 4.0.1. As soon as you have a fat or
a i386 build, we can compare compilers. So far, the MacIntel
looks good -- it will look even better with dual core
Intel chips and with icpc instead of gcc. I'll try to build
something just using the Intel compilers, but I run into trouble
building dylibs and bundles.