[R-SIG-Mac] native binary for macintel machine

Byron Ellis ellis at stat.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 4 00:28:08 CET 2006

Its all good, I'm using your 2.3 nightly builds since it appears
someone did something to useDynLib. I'm sort of hoping I can use it
to resolve symbols more easily.... I need to try libffi again to see
if I can get the objc/ffi stuff working on x86, the Darwin/x86 code
wasn't working last time I checked.

On Jan 3, 2006, at 2:52 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2006, at 4:21 PM, Jan de Leeuw wrote:
>
>> I have NOT been able to compile a native gfortran from the apple
>> cvs (low priority for apple) and i have NOT been able to build R
>> using the intel C and fortran compilers (mostly configure problems).
>
> I was struggling with gfortran on the IntelMac for a while, too.
> The only (and I tried many, including backporting stuff, trust me)
> configuration using gcc that (sort of) works is FSF build from the
> 4.0.x branch.
>
> Jan, can we compare some benchmarks? I suppose the Intel compiler
> should be much faster ... (and no, I still don't have a good
> benchmark example - we can use yours).
>
> I'm working on R 2.2.1 release builds for ppc64 and i386 right now
> (batteries included ;)), so stay tuned. [Yes, ppc release will be
> out very soon, too - just the GUI localizations are a tad behind
> schedule - my apologies - you can get the framework from the
> nightlies page for now].
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

---