[R-SIG-Mac] native binary for macintel machine

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Jan 3 23:52:41 CET 2006

On Jan 3, 2006, at 4:21 PM, Jan de Leeuw wrote:

> I have NOT been able to compile a native gfortran from the apple
> cvs (low priority for apple) and i have NOT been able to build R
> using the intel C and fortran compilers (mostly configure problems).

I was struggling with gfortran on the IntelMac for a while, too. The
only (and I tried many, including backporting stuff, trust me)
configuration using gcc that (sort of) works is FSF build from the
4.0.x branch.

Jan, can we compare some benchmarks? I suppose the Intel compiler
should be much faster ... (and no, I still don't have a good
benchmark example - we can use yours).

I'm working on R 2.2.1 release builds for ppc64 and i386 right now
(batteries included ;)), so stay tuned. [Yes, ppc release will be out
very soon, too - just the GUI localizations are a tad behind schedule
- my apologies - you can get the framework from the nightlies page
for now].