[R-SIG-Mac] New compilers for Xcode 2.2 (universal gfortran and gcc 4.0.3 for Intel Macs)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Feb 10 16:23:31 CET 2006

Paul,

On Feb 9, 2006, at 7:28 PM, Paul Roebuck wrote:

> My reading of that page implies G77 is no longer needed (or
> provided for that matter). Thought CRAN G77 binaries and GFORTRAN
> (G95) didn't mix. Is this the "not yet ready for prime time"
> developer setup or the new recommended setup for everyone?

I should have made this more clear: The new compilers are NOT meant
for the 32-bit ppc CRAN release of R - the supplied G77 is still
recommended. You cannot mix gcc3 and gcc4 binaries - that didn't
change. The gfortran is supplied for developers that have to rely on
gcc4 for one reason or another. Although there are still some issues
with gcc4, it is the only way to get i686 and 64-bit/G5 ppc builds of
R on OS X (Apple doesn't ship gcc3 for Intel Macs).

If you are not experimenting with your own builds of R, just ignore it.

> PS. Is there an TrimTheFat script for your universal compiler for
> those of us who will not be upgrading anytime soon?

No, but you're free to use lipo to do it if you feel like it.
However, I wouldn't thin any libraries, because then you won't be
able to build universal binaries yourself.