[R-SIG-Mac] New compilers for Xcode 2.2 (universal gfortran and gcc 4.0.3 for Intel Macs)

Paul Roebuck roebuck at mdanderson.org
Fri Feb 10 01:28:04 CET 2006

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> I have uploaded a new set of compilers today - the links and details
> are on the Wiki:
> http://wiki.urbanek.info/index.cgi?TigerGCC
>
> This is the first time gfortran is universal (i.e. runs on both ppc
> and i686) and uses Apple's driver, i.e. you can build fat binaries
> with it (e.g. -arch ppc -arch ppc64). Intel gfortran target works
> only with the gcc 4.0.3 and only on Intel Macs.

My reading of that page implies G77 is no longer needed
(or provided for that matter). Thought CRAN G77 binaries
and GFORTRAN (G95) didn't mix. Is this the
"not yet ready for prime time" developer setup or the new
recommended setup for everyone?

PS. Is there an TrimTheFat script for your universal
compiler for those of us who will not be upgrading anytime
soon?