[R-SIG-Mac] adding -Wall

Sun Dec 17 13:18:32 CET 2006

On Dec 17, 2006, at 12:35 PM, Paul Roebuck wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
>
>> For package development I would like to compile
>> with the -Wall flag. What is the best way to add
>> this? Should I just edit
>>    R.Framework/Resources/ppc/etc/Makeconf
>> (I am on a G4), and add it to the CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS,
>> FFLAGS variables.
>> Or is there a better way, where I do not modify the
>> files in the framework?
>>
>> BTW: any reason why this is not enabled by default
>
> I'd leave the Framework Makeconf alone. It is not enabled
> by default because GCC is not guaranteed to be the compiler
> for CC.

I can understand that it is not enabled per default if I just
configured R myself. But here we are talking about the CRAN binary.
For that specific case I think it is reasonable to assume that a user
will/should use the gcc shipping with the binary. There are other
specific changes for the CRAN binary like the fact that the PATH
variable is set.

> I'd recommend adding it to PKG_CFLAGS, PKG_CXXFLAGS,
> and/or PKG_FFLAGS in your package's Makevars file while
> developing the package and remove it prior to release.

Well, that is a solution. A bit irritating, if you are checking many
packages, but reasonable I guess.

> Be aware R CMD check will start giving you nonportable
> warnings; live with it unless you really feel like going
> the configure script route.

Eh? I don't get this.

Kasper