[R-SIG-Mac] adding -Wall

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Mon Dec 18 16:14:27 CET 2006

Paul Roebuck <roebuck at mdanderson.org> writes:

> On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
>
>> For package development I would like to compile
>> with the -Wall flag. What is the best way to add
>> this? Should I just edit
>>    R.Framework/Resources/ppc/etc/Makeconf
>> (I am on a G4), and add it to the CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS,
>> FFLAGS variables.
>> Or is there a better way, where I do not modify the
>> files in the framework?
>>
>> BTW: any reason why this is not enabled by default
>
> I'd leave the Framework Makeconf alone. It is not enabled
> by default because GCC is not guaranteed to be the compiler
> for CC.

? For the OSX _binary_, the compiler better be known in advance --
unless Simon et al are using some sort of quantum compiler ;-)

It is called Makeconf, afterall, so editing it seems sensible to me.
Changing PKG_* vars is inconvenient if you work on many packages, want
to see warnings in other people's packages, and work on many projects
at once since the probability of forgetting to fix it for a release is
non-zero.

My $0.02

+ seth