[R-SIG-Mac] adding -Wall

Paul Roebuck roebuck at mdanderson.org
Sun Dec 17 12:35:38 CET 2006

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> For package development I would like to compile
> with the -Wall flag. What is the best way to add
> this? Should I just edit
>    R.Framework/Resources/ppc/etc/Makeconf
> (I am on a G4), and add it to the CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS,
> FFLAGS variables.
> Or is there a better way, where I do not modify the
> files in the framework?
>
> BTW: any reason why this is not enabled by default

I'd leave the Framework Makeconf alone. It is not enabled
by default because GCC is not guaranteed to be the compiler
for CC.

I'd recommend adding it to PKG_CFLAGS, PKG_CXXFLAGS,
and/or PKG_FFLAGS in your package's Makevars file while
developing the package and remove it prior to release.
Be aware R CMD check will start giving you nonportable
warnings; live with it unless you really feel like going
the configure script route.