[R-SIG-Mac] Building package to use OpeNDAP libraries

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Apr 20 23:00:55 CEST 2006

Don,

On Apr 20, 2006, at 3:17 PM, Don MacQueen wrote:

> I trying to help someone install a package that uses the OpeNDAP
> [...]
> -- 1 --
> The current R binary on CRAN was built with gcc_select 3.3 in place
> (or 3.something, at least) ?
> (both the powerpc version, and the universal version if installed on
> a powerpc machine?)

Yes. This will change for R 2.3.0 (see the nightly builds).

> -- 2 --
> Regardless of any other issues, this compiler version mismatch will
> prevent us from building a working package. Right?

Not necessarily. If OpeNDAP libraries use ABIs that don't differ
between 3.3. and 4.0 then it should work. Note that you still have to
compile the R package with gcc 3.x, however the library it is linking
to doesn't always have to be compiled with gcc 3.x.