[R-SIG-Mac] Building package to use OpeNDAP libraries

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Thu Apr 20 21:17:32 CEST 2006

I trying to help someone install a package that uses the OpeNDAP
libraries (http://www.opendap.org/), and I need to verify a couple of
things.

We're working with OS X 10.4.6 and R 2.2.1.

The opendap project supplies OS X installers (.dmg files) for the
libraries, but we have learned that they were built with gcc 4.0.0.

-- 1 --
The current R binary on CRAN was built with gcc_select 3.3 in place
(or 3.something, at least) ?
(both the powerpc version, and the universal version if installed on
a powerpc machine?)

-- 2 --
Regardless of any other issues, this compiler version mismatch will
prevent us from building a working package. Right?

I believe the answers are yes, and yes, and if so I expect the next
step is to download the opendap sources and build the libraries using
gcc 3.3.

Thanks
-Don