[R-SIG-Mac] (hopefully last) R 2.1.1 available in DarwinPorts

Kjell Konis konis at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 8 18:01:52 CEST 2005

I figured out the problem.  There is a small bug with Apple's default
installation.  On a clean install of Tiger + Xcode 2.1 you get:

[muffin] kjell> sudo gcc_select
Current default compiler:
gcc version 4.0.0 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5026)
[muffin] kjell> ls /usr/lib/libcc_dynamic.a
/usr/lib/libcc_dynamic.a

That library should not be there when gcc 4.0 is the default compiler.

After running gcc_select to switch to 3.3 then back to 4.0 you get:

[muffin] kjell> sudo gcc_select 3.3
Default compiler has been set to:
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1809)
[muffin] kjell> gcc_select
Current default compiler:
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1809)
[muffin] kjell> sudo gcc_select 4.0
gcc version 4.0.0 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5026)
[muffin] kjell> gcc_select
Current default compiler:
gcc version 4.0.0 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5026)
[muffin] kjell> ls /usr/lib/libcc_dynamic.a
ls: /usr/lib/libcc_dynamic.a: No such file or directory

which is correct.

The result is that if you try to compile R on a virgin OS X + Xcode
with GCC=gcc-3.3 and GXX=g++-3.3 set in your environment it will
work.  After you have run gcc_select 4.0 the same build will fail.

Amazing what a good night sleep will do (:

Kjell

On 8 Sep 2005, at 06:19, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2005, at 3:08 AM, Kjell Konis wrote:
>

>> Now I'm confused.  My whole idea was to call gcc-3.3 directly thus
>> avoiding the user having to know which compiler is getting used.
>> I thought gcc_select just changed what gcc pointed at (and
>> associated libraries).  Do you know what else gcc_select is doing?
>>

> Kjell, I would suggest you should really read this list more often
> or look at the archives (especially since you try to build binary
> that you want to made widely available).
>
> gcc_select does much more than changing a softlink of gcc - it also
> softlinks the proper includes and libraries - and one of the
> important of them is cc_dynamic.

That's what I meant by 'and associated libraries'.