[R-SIG-Mac] [moderator] Re: R 2.1.1 available in DarwinPorts

stefano iacus stefano.iacus at unimi.it
Thu Sep 8 10:15:52 CEST 2005

On 08/set/05, at 03:11, Bill Northcott wrote:

> On 08/09/2005, at 9:45 AM, Kjell Konis wrote:
>
>> R-SIG-MAC is an "R Special Interest Group on Macintosh Development
>> and Porting, both for MacOS 8.6 - 9.x and MacOS X"  Why does what
>> we're doing not count?
>>

> I don't see either of 'Fink' or 'Darwin Ports' in the list {MacOS
> 8.6-9.x, MacOS X}.

I think that there is no reason why we should not help Kjell to build
R in his set up provided that we can help and that Kjell follow our
suggestions (Simon has written several times what's going wrong and
why... thus why not considering these suggestions?).

As for daily testing of darwinports: r-sig-mac is probably NOT the
right place, maybe darwinports has it's own list for that purpose. Or
maybe Kjell can correspond with some testers privately and report
here success or ask for solutions.

What Simon says about compiler dependencies REALLY matters and it is
something to take care in particular for binary distributions.

Apple is doing great work in including more and more system
libraries, and there's no reason why not using these if available.
Apple is also helping other open source project in having their
products build out-of-the box on OS X for the reason explained by
Bill in this mail.

stefano