[R-SIG-Mac] R problem (fwd)

Kasper Daniel Hansen kaha at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Jun 30 02:08:30 CEST 2005

Hi All

A collaborater has problems loading the grDevices package in the
basic dmg install of R (Tiger).

To be precise: he has problems loading the grDevices packages when he
starts R on the commandline (in a terminal window), but _not_ when he
starts the GUI (!). He has manually installed some graphics libraries (see
below). At first I thought "ok, messing up the graphics libraries of
course breaks something", but then I noticed that everything works in
the R gui (R.app) loads perfectly. Any ideas on how to make the terminal
version of R work?

The error message from R when I try to load grDevices (it seems that it
has a probelm with some jpeg stuff - which I also find kind of odd since
capabilities(jpeg) is FALSE)

> library(grDevices)
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/grDevices/libs/grDevices.
so':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/grDevices/libs/grDe
vices.so, 6): Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart
  Referenced from:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Framewor
ks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
  Expected in: /usr/local/lib/libJPEG.dylib
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'grDevices'

And this is a list of the installed libraries:

Might come from previous instalation of the GDlib library which required
installatio of

zlib
http://www.gzip.org/zlib/
libpng
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html
libjpeg
ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/jpeg/jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz
freetype2
http://freetype.sourceforge.net/download.html
GD
http://www.boutell.com/gd/

A description of the flag used can be found at
http://www.paginar.net/matias/articles/gd_x_howto.html