[R-SIG-Mac] Command line completion, Help browser navigation buttons, Offering code changes for GUI

Gregory Jefferis gsxej2 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 31 21:13:14 CET 2005

Dear Stefano, Simon et al.,

A couple of features which I find are missing from the excellent new Cocoa
GUI are Back/Forwards navigation in the help browser (acknowledged in the To
Do list) and command completion of subvariables (eg the columns of a
dataframe so that you can complete df$T to df$Temperature).  I have
implemented these changes in my own source tree (derived from the Nov-16
snapshot) and wondered whether it would be possible to get them integrated
into the main source.

I had a few additional queries about command completion (which is one of the
features that means I have almost stopped using terminal R/X11).  It seems
to me that these days object names are allowed to have underscores but the
command completion only allows numbers letters and periods.  Additionally I
think it would be very useful if tab completion would display completion
options if there are >1 but < say 50.  I have something working for this but
it is not quite right yet and it will take me a bit longer to figure out how
to write to the GUI console correctly.  Is this potentially interesting
enough that one of the developers might like to do it?

Many thanks,

Greg Jefferis.

--
Gregory Jefferis, PhD                               and:
Research Fellow

Tel: +44 (0)1223 336683                             +44 (0)1223 339899
Fax: +44 (0)1223 336676                             +44 (0)1223 337720

gsxej2 at cam.ac.uk