[R-SIG-Mac] sizing of quartz and x11 windows

Parlamis Franklin fparlamis at mac.com
Mon Dec 5 23:36:28 CET 2005

quartz(w=3,h=3) gives me a 2 6/32" square window (not including the
banner, but including the resizing square).

the measured discrepency between x11 and quartz seems to scale
linearly with the size of the windows (an x11 window being 1/64, 6/64
and 12/64" bigger in the 1, 3 and 6" cases), but for both x11 and
quartz the resizing square is within the measured square region, so i
am not sure the resizing square is the source of the discrepency.

i am more wondering why 3" in the function call turns into 2 6/32"
displayed.  is this a standard error for everyone, or is it just my
monitor/card-combo that creates it?  and if it's standard, why have a
function that purports to deliver a measurement?