[R-SIG-Mac] sizing of quartz and x11 windows

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Dec 6 00:14:54 CET 2005

On Dec 5, 2005, at 5:36 PM, Parlamis Franklin wrote:

> i am more wondering why 3" in the function call turns into 2 6/32"
> displayed.  is this a standard error for everyone, or is it just
> my  monitor/card-combo that creates it?

The discrepancy comes from the fact that the DPI density is not
necessarily calibrated exactly to your monitor. I don't remember what
Quartz uses (it is initialized to 72dpi, but I see no code that
changes it later), but the DPI for X11 is usually set to an arbitrary
default of 75 or 100 (see xdpyinfo|grep resol) which may not match
your display (in fact my 23" Apple display has 99.5x98.3 DPI
according to OS X so Apple knows what they're doing). You can use the
-dpi argument to specify your real DPI in X11. As of Quartz, unless
there is a way to set ipr in R directly I don't think you can change
it. Given that most modern displays have at least 100dpi, I'd vote to
change the Quartz default to 100...