[R-SIG-Mac] creating gui

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon Nov 15 18:16:13 CET 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> AFAIK tcl/tk doesn't work natively in OS X yet (but you can use it in X11),
> so I would not rely on it, but on the other hand, there are not really too
> many alternatives.

I would have to disagree with Simon here.  tcltk works reliably, with
little configuation effort, on all R platforms (? possibly except 64-bit
linux). The x11 version on the Mac is undeniably ugly, but it does work
and the Apple X server is not going to suddenly vanish.

It depends on how much you want to focus on OS X.  If you really want easy
portability then I think tcltk is the way to go (and there are quite a few
examples of its use out there). If you mostly want use on a Mac with the
ability to port if necessary then something prettier and more flexible
(such as iWidgets) might be appropriate.

 	-thomas