[R-SIG-Mac] creating gui

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Nov 15 17:46:29 CET 2004

In my version of R (http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/pub) Aqua Tcl/Tk works
fine,
and Aqua Gtk+ works partially, but the R Aqui GUI and JGR do not work,
so
you have to run R from Terminal.app or from Emacs.

On Nov 15, 2004, at 8:10 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> On Nov 15, 2004, at 12:45 PM, Nathan Weisz wrote:
>
>> I'm using the R2.0 Aqua Gui version. I'm interested in creating small
>> GUIs for a psychoacoustic experiments in R (using tuneR; i.e. people
>> pushing buttons, and a sound is played).
>>
>> However I have no experience. Googling around it seems that using
>> tcltk from would be the best thing. Yet I'm a little overwhelmed at
>> the bedinning by the amount of information.
>> Does anybody know an easy to use tutorial (best starting with
>> installation) optimally with special consideration of Mac OS X users.
>
> AFAIK tcl/tk doesn't work natively in OS X yet (but you can use it in
> X11), so I would not rely on it, but on the other hand, there are not
> really too many alternatives. The only cross-platform solution that
> even works natively on OS X is iWidgets in JGR (
> http://www.rosuda.org/JGR/ - see R help pages of the iWidgets library
> for examples). iWidgets have a simple API, so it should be easy to get
> started. However, since iWidgets are really fresh, there aren't many
> projects to borrow example code from.
> A native Cocoa package for the R-GUI does not exist yet, although
> there are plans to create one. If I get to write one, it will have the
> same API as iWidgets, so it will be interchangeable.
> This is just my EUR 0.02 ... others may thing of other alternatives,
> and I'm aware that we need to put some effort in this area ...
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
>
> ---
> Simon Urbanek
> Department of computer oriented statistics and data analysis
> University of Augsburg
> Universitätsstr. 14
> 86135 Augsburg
> Germany
>
> Tel: +49-821-598-2236
> Fax: +49-821-598-2200
>
> Simon.Urbanek at Math.Uni-Augsburg.de
> http://simon.urbanek.info

===
Jan de Leeuw; Distinguished Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of
Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 8125 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu