[R-SIG-Mac] creating gui

Simon Urbanek Simon.Urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Mon Nov 15 17:10:23 CET 2004

Hi Nathan,

On Nov 15, 2004, at 12:45 PM, Nathan Weisz wrote:

> I'm using the R2.0 Aqua Gui version. I'm interested in creating small
> GUIs for a psychoacoustic experiments in R (using tuneR; i.e. people
> pushing buttons, and a sound is played).
>
> However I have no experience. Googling around it seems that using
> tcltk from would be the best thing. Yet I'm a little overwhelmed at
> the bedinning by the amount of information.
> Does anybody know an easy to use tutorial (best starting with
> installation) optimally with special consideration of Mac OS X users.

AFAIK tcl/tk doesn't work natively in OS X yet (but you can use it in
X11), so I would not rely on it, but on the other hand, there are not
really too many alternatives. The only cross-platform solution that
even works natively on OS X is iWidgets in JGR (
http://www.rosuda.org/JGR/ - see R help pages of the iWidgets library
for examples). iWidgets have a simple API, so it should be easy to get
started. However, since iWidgets are really fresh, there aren't many
projects to borrow example code from.
A native Cocoa package for the R-GUI does not exist yet, although there
are plans to create one. If I get to write one, it will have the same
API as iWidgets, so it will be interchangeable.
This is just my EUR 0.02 ... others may thing of other alternatives,
and I'm aware that we need to put some effort in this area ...

---
Simon Urbanek
Department of computer oriented statistics and data analysis
University of Augsburg
Universitätsstr. 14
86135 Augsburg
Germany