[R-SIG-Mac] installation of source library with fortran code

Byron Ellis ellis at stat.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 15 11:57:46 CET 2004

Could you post a transcript of what you're trying to do? In general OS
X's behavior is much closer to UNIX/Linux than WinXP (especially when
it comes to the command-line utilities).

In general, assuming you have an R package downloaded called
"package_1_0_0.tar.gz" on your desktop you would execute the following
from a Terminal window:

# cd ~/Desktop
# R CMD INSTALL package_1_0_0.tar.gz

The caps are very important (there is actually a system utility called
'install') and you shouldn't actually have to unpack anything.

If you're attempting to install a FORTRAN-based package you will need
to install g77 from hpc.sourceforge.net as it is not included in
Apple's Developer's Tools (for some unfathomable reason. Dear Apple,
please ship g77 with Tiger). The appropriate version number is in the
FAQ and the installation instructions for g77 are available on its
website.