[R-SIG-Mac] installation of source library with fortran code

Andreas Quandt A.quAndt at web.de
Mon Nov 15 11:47:25 CET 2004

dear list,

i changed my os from win xp to mac os x (10.3) and upgraded R to Version R-2.0.0. now i would like to install a source package which contains fortran code. unfortunately it seems to that the way to compile it is not the same as under windows. under windows i used the special folder "src" and the command R CMD INSTALL ...
but no it doesn't work under mac. first: if i am not wrong there is no src folder and if i try to use R CMD INSTALL then i get this message:

(andqua at g4an:Scource)R CMD INSTALL Test -l /Users/andqua/Documents/Rlibrary/
* Installing *binary* package 'rsmooth' ...
* DONE (Test)

which is wrong because it is no binary. furthernore  the package manager tells me there is no package called Test. if i try to install this package with the package installer then i get following error message:

gzip: /Users/andqua/Documents/Rlibrary/Scource/Test.zip has more than one entry--rest ignored
ERROR: cannot extract package from '/Users/andqua/Documents/Rlibrary/Scource/Test.zip'
    npackage installation failed

i will be very happy if somebody can tell me what i am doing wrong or give me some sources to read in the internet because i do not found any hints in the R FAQ for mac os x and the faq for building packages in R.

thanks in advance
andreas