[R-SIG-Mac] Building R for MacOS X

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Tue Jul 6 02:58:23 CEST 2004

Hi,

I'm interested in learning about building R for MacOS X, in the
hope that I can build a customized installation wizard
providing R, several R packages, and some Tcl/Tk extensions
required by my microarray GUI's limmaGUI and affylmGUI.  I have
done this for Windows, and users have found it very useful, as
many don't have R to start with or they don't have a recent
version of R.

On MacOS X, I see a few potential hurdles.  One is that the
current R installation mechanism seems to require root
privileges, which my I.T. staff will not allow me to have, so it
would be hard to test a wizard after I build it unless I have to
call for I.T. assistance every time.  On Windows, root
privileges are recommended, but you can install R without them
(just missing out on a few inessential Registry entries).

I'd appreciate any thoughts about this.

Regards,
James

James Wettenhall                                  Tel: (+61 3) 9345 2629
Division of Genetics and Bioinformatics           Fax: (+61 3) 9347 0852
The Walter & Eliza Hall Institute         E-mail: wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
 of Medical Research,                     Mobile: (+61 / 0 ) 438 527 921
1G Royal Parade,
Parkville, Vic 3050, Australia
http://www.wehi.edu.au