[R-SIG-Mac] Building R for MacOS X

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Tue Jul 6 03:25:24 CEST 2004

The new R-build on http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/pub (to be
posted later this week) consists of

1. R-devel, with binaries for close to 500 packages. This
does not support X11 and AquaTclTk , and for its GUI it uses
either Terminal.app or Emacs.app (or one of the Tck/Tk
GUI's). Also comes with RGtk. Both limmaGUI and
affyImGUI are included.

2. R-patched, with binaries for only the base and recommended
packages. This comes with X11 support and has X11 Tcl/Tk.
Its GUI can be R.app or Terminal.app or Emacs.app, but from
Terminal or Emacs you cannot use Quartz graphics.

You can switch between the two by soft linking

/Library/Framework/R.framework/Versions/Current

to either the 1.9.1 or the 2.0.0 directory.

As for your self-build question, just configure using
--prefix=~/Library/Frameworks
instead of /Library/Frameworks. Also, as far as I know, installation of
R requires admin privileges, not root privileges. Properly configured
OS X installations do not even have a root account. Now if you intend to
run R off a server, you will need the admin password from IT, of course.

--- Jan

On Jul 5, 2004, at 17:58, James Wettenhall wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in learning about building R for MacOS X, in the
> hope that I can build a customized installation wizard
> providing R, several R packages, and some Tcl/Tk extensions
> required by my microarray GUI's limmaGUI and affylmGUI.  I have
> done this for Windows, and users have found it very useful, as
> many don't have R to start with or they don't have a recent
> version of R.
>
> On MacOS X, I see a few potential hurdles.  One is that the
> current R installation mechanism seems to require root
> privileges, which my I.T. staff will not allow me to have, so it
> would be hard to test a wizard after I build it unless I have to
> call for I.T. assistance every time.  On Windows, root
> privileges are recommended, but you can install R without them
> (just missing out on a few inessential Registry entries).
>
> I'd appreciate any thoughts about this.
>
> Regards,
> James

> ---
> James Wettenhall                                  Tel: (+61 3) 9345
> 2629
> Division of Genetics and Bioinformatics           Fax: (+61 3) 9347
> 0852
> The Walter & Eliza Hall Institute         E-mail:
> wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
>  of Medical Research,                     Mobile: (+61 / 0 ) 438 527
> 921
> 1G Royal Parade,
> Parkville, Vic 3050, Australia
> http://www.wehi.edu.au

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 8130 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu