[R-SIG-Mac] editor

Tiago R Magalhaes tiago17 at socrates.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Dec 27 14:09:32 CET 2004

Hi to you all and the usual thanks to the people who make this
wonderful program and also the ones that so generously help people
like me

I have been using the editor and have been having some problems.
Things got much worse two days ago - specially 1) and 3) weren't
really happening before. All other points were happening very
frequently. Everything else seems to be working fine in my computer.
I have very regularly used the nightly build from Simon Urbanek as
little and very useful things are always improving, but I cannot
recall whether problems 1) and 3) started with one of those "fresh" R
applications.

R.Version():
$platform
[1] "powerpc-apple-darwin6.8"
R.2.01
PowerBook G4
OS 10.3.7

1) clicking in a .R doocument opens R  but then it crashes
immediately. It asks me if I want to send a "Bug Report" to apple -
see text below of that report

2) cut and paste to an editor window causes an error: 2004-12-27
12:27:03.758 R[363] *** NSTimer discarding exception
'NSRangeException' (reason '*** NSRunStorage,
_NSBlockNumberForIndex(): index (1944) beyond array bounds (1000)')
that raised during firing of timer with target 3b75e0 and selector
'runRELP:'

3) sending from the editor to the console (apple-enter) simple
commands such as:
t.control='x'
or library(multtest) causes a syntax error
typing the exact samething in the console works fine
I opened my file.R in xemacs and I realize that the lines that give
me an error start "invisibly" with some ^
I CANNOT see these symbols in the editor window and deleting the
spaces doesn't help
to be clearer:
what I see in the editor window:
library(siggenes)
what I see in xemacs:
^_^^^^library(siggenes).
Not all the lines have these symbols at the beginning.
This is what is most likely causing the error when I send the call to
the console

4) opening a new window (apple-n) causes R to crash - this happens
frequently but not all the time

5) The other issue that I get very frequently is that the editor
window goes blank. The text is still there - if I select it it
becomes visible, but it keeps disapearing. I cannot pinpoint when
exactly this happens or what is the action that causes it.

6) the welll known problem with the undo control having an "extreme"
behaviour is also a major problem - I know it's not easy to solve -
but just to point out that it is indeed a relevant issue to some
people

7) this happened just once, so I don't know how relevant it is to
help in the diagnostic: typing in the console:
xx=data.frame(x=sample(100), y=sample(100))
xx=stack(xx)
xx
2004-12-27 11:31:26.063 R[3797] *** NSRunStorage,
_NSBlockNumberForIndex(): index (4655) beyond array bounds (2000)

8) not really related to R, but maybe someone can give me a pointer
to the following: I can get xemacs running if I type in the terminal
xemacs. But if I open X11 and type xemacs I get: "bash: xemacs:
command not found". A while ago I had Darwin running as the X11 and
thanks to very helpful people in this list I replaced it with the
Apple newer version. With Darwin xemacs run simply typing xemacs (in
the same way that it does now from the terminal)

* bug report to Apple (from 1) )
Date/Time:      2004-12-27 11:43:37 +0000
OS Version:     10.3.7 (Build 7S215)
Report Version: 2

Command: R

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000009

(much longer report that I can send if it's of any interest)