[R-SIG-Mac] lme4 crashes R

Andrew Beckerman a.beckerman at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Aug 6 09:39:48 CEST 2004

Thanks to all of you..... even if the details are a bit over my head.
As for using lme4, the fix that simon has provided.... what does it
replace? the lme4 file in library/lme4/R/?

many thanks

On 5 Aug 2004, at 19:14, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2004, at 12:55 PM, Andrew Beckerman wrote:
>
>> has anyone had success at building and running the source
>> distribution of lme4 from CRAN on OSX?  I find that it builds, and
>> will load as a library, but running the lme example in lme4 causes R
>> to crash - the data file loads, the model appears to run, but
>> attempting a summary() or print() causes the crash.
>
> It's a bug which is not OS X specific. Attached you'll find a patch
> with the fix. I suspect that the reason is that lme4 uses direct calls
> to C code of Matrix (why doesn't Matrix provide R-level interface for
> this? I thought calling C code of another package is strongly
> discouraged...), the interface changed and one of those calls was not
> fixed.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
>
> (CC to maintainers in case they didn't find out yet ;)).
>
> <lme4.fix.diff>
---------
Dr. Andrew Beckerman
Department of Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield,
Alfred Denny Building, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
ph +44 (0)114 222 0026; fx +44 (0)114 222 0002
http://www.shef.ac.uk/beckslab