[R-SIG-Mac] Two pieces of news

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Tue Aug 10 19:20:31 CEST 2004

From: Robert van de Geijn <rvdg at cs.utexas.edu>
===
We have been building a mechanism that will allow us to now quickly
redevelop LAPACK from scratch.  We will slowly add functionality, as
time goes on.
Right now, we have a lot of functionality, but only the dgeqrf lapack
to flame interface.  So, if you want to take a faster dgeqrf for a
spin, check out
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/flame/Downloads

If you would like to create ".a" files for the G5 for us, we would be
happy to provide source!
===
We are very pleased to announce that Kazushige Goto, of GOTO BLAS fame,
has decided to rejoin The University of Texas at Austin as a permanent
member of the Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC).
Many of you have used his BLAS.  What few people know is that while
Kazushige worked full-time on these libraries during the 2002-2003
academic year (when he visited me at UT-Austin), he has only had the
chance to work on them as a hobby since his return to Japan.  Kazushige
has had a full-time job unrelated to High-Performance Computing during
the day.  He has commuted three hours a day to this job.  And he has a
two year old child who enjoys unplugging his numerous workstations in
his apartment.  As a result, he has worked his magic only a few hours a
week.  Yet he has demonstrated that his libraries are superior to all
academic efforts and to most industrial efforts, on essentially all
platforms.  It will be interesting to see what happens to his
productivity when he can unleash his talents full-time.  Needless to
say, we await his return with anticipation.

For additional information, kindly visit http://www.tacc.utexas.edu/
and look under "Press" for the press release.
===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 8130 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu