[R-SIG-Mac] The diff as promised

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Wed Aug 4 12:43:05 CEST 2004

On Aug 4, 2004, at 7:38 AM, Byron Ellis wrote:

> Do you mean R will run without having to use the Cocoa bundle to
> bootstrap the code? I'd be curious to see how that worked. I guess I
> will in August :-)

That code exist for more than a year now ;), it's part of the Obj-C
interface to R I mentioned a while ago.

There are two approaches - the old one using a single thread (that's
what my old Cocoa Rgui used - this has several limitations because R
can block the entire interface) and the more recent one which runs R
and its loop in a separate thread (very much like JGR). Both are in the
CVS. The option of using R as a framework instead of plugging Cocoa
into R has the advantage that the application is a "real" application,
nut just a wrapper to the R script, which caused quite some problems.

> I've got my quartz device mostly working.

Sounds good :).

> how/where to set fontfamily in R_GE_gcontext,

AFAIR so far it works in grid only, using gp=gpar(fontfamily="...")).
JavaGD respects this flag as well as the alpha transparency.

Unfortunately I'll be very busy in the next two weeks, so I won't have
time to look at it until later this month :(.