[R-SIG-Mac] The diff as promised

Byron Ellis bellis at hsph.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 5 08:17:25 CEST 2004

On Aug 4, 2004, at 6:43 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2004, at 7:38 AM, Byron Ellis wrote:
>
>> Do you mean R will run without having to use the Cocoa bundle to
>> bootstrap the code? I'd be curious to see how that worked. I guess I
>> will in August :-)
>
> That code exist for more than a year now ;), it's part of the Obj-C
> interface to R I mentioned a while ago.

Just goes to show how much I've been paying attention :-)

> There are two approaches - the old one using a single thread (that's
> what my old Cocoa Rgui used - this has several limitations because R
> can block the entire interface) and the more recent one which runs R
> and its loop in a separate thread (very much like JGR). Both are in
> the CVS. The option of using R as a framework instead of plugging
> Cocoa into R has the advantage that the application is a "real"
> application, nut just a wrapper to the R script, which caused quite
> some problems.

Yeah, my bundle does the former and just lets the entire thing block
(it doesn't bother me all that much since the other GUIs do
more-or-less the same thing). The big disadvantage is that I can't
interrupt execution because keyboard events don't get passed. I agree
about making R/Cocoa (not to be confused with R/CoCo) a "real"
application---the wrapper script drives me crazy. There's no way to
debug except through using lots of NSLog statements and spending a lot
of time in the Crash Log! But, now the question becomes, which CVS
repository would that be? The main R (now SVN) repository?!

>> I've got my quartz device mostly working.
>
> Sounds good :).
>
>> how/where to set fontfamily in R_GE_gcontext,
>
> AFAIR so far it works in grid only, using gp=gpar(fontfamily="...")).
> JavaGD respects this flag as well as the alpha transparency.

Yup, I saw your other email and fixed it. Also fixed font colors while
I was at it. Transparency just works (yay Quartz!).

> Unfortunately I'll be very busy in the next two weeks, so I won't have
> time to look at it until later this month :(.

Everybody here is out of town heading to the JSMs early but me, so I've
had some time alone to work on things. :-) (I don't get to go---too
bad, I've never been to Toronto).

At any rate, it'll be sitting in CVS when you get back. :-)