[R-SIG-Mac] The diff as promised

Byron Ellis bellis at hsph.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 4 07:38:41 CEST 2004

Cool, it was a lot more complex but it eventually got to the point
where it would become a maintenance nightmare, so I backed it out and
just had Cocoa take complete control of the graphics device. More work
for me in some sense, but easier to maintain I think.

Do you mean R will run without having to use the Cocoa bundle to
bootstrap the code? I'd be curious to see how that worked. I guess I
will in August :-)

I've got my quartz device mostly working. I think my font layout code
is still slightly off for rotated text (R and Cocoa seem to have
different ideas of where the baseline is located), but its basically
all there and completely written in Cocoa--it uses NSLayoutManagers for
the layout and NSFontManagers for font selection and so on.
Additionally, I haven't figured out how/where to set fontfamily in
R_GE_gcontext, which devPS seems to use so it defaults to Helvetica no
matter which family is used so far. At any rate, I've checked the
entire project into the StatPaper CVS repository:

  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/statpaper co
StatPaperBundle

or browse at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/statpaper/

most of the device is implemented in GraphicsDeviceManager.m with
support in *+R.h/.m for handling R<->NSColor and R<->NSBezierPath.
Since I just checked it in, I haven't updated the licensing block
properly in the code nor given proper credit to yourself and Simon yet,
hope you aren't too offended ;-)